The Necklace

“So I’ll see you here on the 15th at 6:00pm?”, she said.
“Ok. Ermm.. could you come over here for a second.”
“What is it?”
My subtle attempt at persuading her to come stand next to me was somewhat.. subdued. We were walking towards the main entrance to the departure lounge and she already got her boarding gate pass out. I walked over to the side, not wanting to block the other passengers from going in. I wanted to tell her something before she boards her plane.
I took the morning off so I that could send her to the airport and see her off. I didn’t sleep the night before. I stayed awake all night and helped her re-packed her luggage. They were too heavy before. It was her who suggested that we don’t sleep that night, since it was only another four hours before we have to get up again. I agreed thinking she would rather get some sleep on the plane, only to discover that she had fallen asleep right there on my sofa.
I was always fond of watching her sleep. Her face gets so warm and peaceful; it’s like watching the glowing sunrise over the sea horizon.
The morning rush-hour was a usual.. horrendous. We purposely missed breakfast to save ourselves some time. By the time we got to the airport, our bladders were about to explode. Believe me, getting stuck in London traffic with a full bladder should be avoided at all cost.

We queued up and checked-in. I felt that she was a bit worried about the weight of her luggage, but I was pretty confident that they would be just around borderline. Sure enough, I was right. We were also getting hungry, so helped ourselves to some fresh bagels, courtesy of The Bagel Street; her treat of course.
Soon, it was time for her to go.
It was nearing midday.
“Could you come over here for a second please”, I softly asked her again.
She walked over slowly, with a puzzled look on her face, probably unsure of how she was supposed to respond. I waited for her to come closer, until she was standing right next to me.
“I want to give you something.”
I loosened my neck tie, unbuttoned my collar and proceeded to undo the clasps to my silver necklace.


I bought it back in 2000 at a street market. It was the time when I made the decision to stay in the UK. It cost me only £5. Cheap, but priceless nonetheless.
I took her right hand and lowered the necklace.. slowly onto the centre of her palm.
“This necklace, represents all my ambition, my motivation, my strength, my passion.. and my love for you.”
I closed her hand and continued,
“When you are ready to start a life with me, just return it back to me.. and I will understand. You don’t have to say anything.”
“I.. I.. I don’t understand”, she muttered.
“Keep this necklace. When you’re ready, just give it back. You don’t need to say anything. It would be understood.”
I let go off her hand and took a step back.
She seemed a bit confused or perhaps she just didn’t know how to react.
“Why are you telling me this now? Couldn’t it wait until I get back?”, she asked.
“It makes absolutely no difference.”
“I don’t like to be pushed.”
“I know you don’t. Which is why I’m giving you this necklace.”
“What if I never give it back to you?”
“Then keep it.. something to remember me by.”
Both of us just stood still and said nothing for the next two minutes, it seemed like two centuries.
It was beginning to get extremely difficult for me to hold back my feelings, and I didn’t want to stall her any longer. I held my right hand up.. for a farewall-handshake.
She looked at it briefly.. and proceeded to give me a hug.
“Take care of yourself.”, she whispered in my ear.
“You too.”, I replied.
I hugged her as long as I possibly could.. as if it was my last. I can still remember the smell of her hair.
Soon we had to let go. Her eyes were red. She was holding back her tears.
So was I.
We both knew we were horrible at hiding it.
She slipped the necklace into her jeans pocket and walked over to the man guarding the entrance to the departure lounge. She handed her passport and boarding pass over. They were returned to her immediately after and just as she was about to enter the departure lounge..
.. she took another glimpse at me..
.. and smiled.
Her eyes looked glassy, and it seemed like she was going to break down and cry.
I smiled back.
She went in..
..and never looked back.
I just stood there..
..for how long I can’t remember..
..feeling completely lost.
It’s been three and a half months since that day..
.. since I last saw my silver necklace.
To be honest..
..I don’t think I will ever see it again.
To be honest..
..a small part of me
..hopes to see it again.
To be honest..
.. I don’t think we were right for each to begin with.
To be honest..
.. I think I’m finally ready
.. to move on.

Happy Birthday Sweetie.
...and farewell.



