Of Being "Nice"

I decided to take a stroll at the nearby park earlier today. A few things were going through my head. I was feeling kind of depressed and was desperately in need of some cheering up. The last time I went to the park, I was extremely overjoyed. Alas, it didn't seem to work this time.
Something was definitely missing.
Of late, it seems like everywhere I go, I have to put on this "everything is alright" persona to make people feel comfortable around me. And then if I show any of true self, it is completely uncharacteristic of me from other people's points of view. It just seems like I ALWAYS have to be funny and talkative around other people or they think something is wrong with me. I'm aware that this is very unhealthy.
Bottling up your emotions and only act how others expect you to will do a lot of damage to your emotional state in the end. You'll end up depressed and grumpy because no one understands you. You won't be able to hide how you feel forever. Either you'll get so down that it starts to affect you in other ways or all the contained feelings will explode in some way that you may end up regretting. It's better to express yourself now then wait and let things get worse.

The problem is, how do you express yourself? Who do you talk to? Your close friends? Your family? Total strangers? The homeless living under the train bridge? The Good Samaritan Helpline? Will they be ok with the "real" you?
Hmmmm......
On a side note, there sure were a lot of couples making out in the park. One would expect they would try to be as subtle as possible with the presence of children and old age pensioners loitering around. But heck no! They were really lashing it out at each other like nobody’s business! As much as I would like to find a comfy spot on the grass to sit down and be a silent spectator to this rather intriguing sport, I was let down by my own pulsating bladder.
As I exited the park to rush back to my flat, I looked up and noticed this road sign, grinned sheepishly and increased my pace.

We're only human after all...
...aren't we?



