Monday, March 07, 2005

The Blonde Waitress - Part 1



The first day of “Citrix Presentation Server 3.0” course turned out to be slightly brain-drenching. I was still a bit tired from the driving I did yesterday and thought perhaps I would turn in early for the night. As for dinner, I decided to try out the hotel Brasserie (super-posh name for a small restaurant offering mega-expensive food).

After peering at the menu by the entrance (they have it on display) for five minutes, I was greeted by a blonde waitress.

“Weahammammsit?”, she whimpered with a sweet smile.

“Pardon?”, I smiled back.

“Would you like to have a seat?”

“Yes please”.

By this time I noticed that I was looking up at blonde waitress. She must have been slightly over six feet tall.

“Would you follow me please...”

I was then given a grand tour of the restaurant, much to my disregard for such things, I then realised that the waitress had a bit of a problem deciding where to seat me.

“Emmm...”, her head turned left and right.

There was only one other customer in the restaurant and by my count, there must be at least ten other available tables on the ground level and ten more at the upper level.

“Emmm....”, her facial expression, although I would expect to be distressed, appeared to be... rather blank.

The fact that I had quite a long day and was beginning to feel a bit cranky left me very little choice but to hastily interrupt,

“How about one of the tables up there?”, I pointed to the upper level.

“Okay”, she agreed without much hesitation, much to my relief.

Blonde waitress then led me upstairs and although I have already helped her narrowed down her choice, I didn’t really fancy us playing the ‘oh-where-shall-I-seat-this-customer’ game again. So I pointed out a table overlooking the restaurant and sat down.

A menu appeared out of nowhere and was placed violently in front of me, making me wonder what possible sins I have committed recently and if I should dine elsewhere more forgiving instead.

“Doyumememmemit?”, she whimpered again, still ever smiling.

“Pardon?”

“Do you know what you’re going to eat?”

I marvelled at her choice of query. I was expecting “Are you ready to order?” or “What would you like to drink?” to be one of the first thing she would ask, or at least something along those lines. Asking me if I knew what I was going to consume seemed a tad bit... disconcerting.

Funnily enough, I already knew what I wanted , since I already had a peer at the menu earlier.

“I would like the salmon and a side order of the house salad please.”

“Ok.”, she nodded once, still with a smiling face and walked off into the kitchen, much to my bewilderment; I was expecting to have been offered a drink.

My answer came three minutes later, when blonde waitress came back and asked me what drink I would like to have. Some kind soul in the kitchen must have pointed the missing link.

“Do you have any fruit juice?”

“Ehmm....”, her eyes strained a bit, as if she was formulating an alternative equation to Einstein’s theory of relativity.

“I’ll come back in a sec”, she said and rushed off to the kitchen again.

I began to wonder if I was ever going to have any drink... or food for that matter... that night.



TO BE CONTINUED...


|