Friday, November 26, 2004

A Time For Concern

Just had a very brief conversation with a dear friend. She'd been working the late shift the night before and hardly had any sleep during the day. This I learnt after having spoken to her. I thought I'd just give her a call from work just to say hi and see how she was doing as I haven't spoken to her for a few days. Anyway, the conversation was kept short as she politely excused herself to catch up on much much needed sleep. I apologised of course (silly me!) and told her that we'll talk another time.

What concerned me is that during this very brief conversation, she asked me how I was. I wasn't sure if it was just common courtesy (and perhaps I should have returned the favour come to think of it), but the last few days I have been bombarded with similar questions from my colleagues at work, the cleaners and even from my Dad during a long-distance telephone call. No, no, this was not the usual, "Hi Ahmad, you alright?" with a smile. It was more along the lines of, "Ahmad, are you ok?" with a very worried look.

Ok so I don't look at the mirror very often nowadays. I used to look at the mirror to comb my hair, but now that there's nothing left to comb, I pretty much use it for mundane things like making sure my tie is straight and.... err... that's about it.

Alright, so I felt like I was coming down with something a few days back, but I was pretty sure I've fought it off. Even my new IT Assistant, Joanna, was so concerned about me, she forced me to have honey and lemon in warm water, something about the natural anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant properties in them. I didn't want to dissapoint the girl and she genuinely looked like she wanted to help, so I drank it till the last drop, much to my bleargh and ughhh. But that was two days ago. Today, as we were about to leave for the day, she even said, "Ok Ahmad, hope you have a good rest during the weekend and feel better on Monday."

"Excuse me?", I replied. "What makes you think I need a good rest?", I asked. Boy that sounded rude, but I felt I needed to know what was going on. Will have to buy her lunch later.

"Well you just sneezed three times and you were quiet the whole day!", was her response.


"Oh. Thanks Joanna. You have a good weekend too. I'll see you first thing on Monday."

So we have Joanna, a few of the ladies, the cleaners, my Dad and my dear friend... are they able to sense that there is something wrong with me? I was beginning to feel unwell again. The joints in my body started to ache. Suddenly, I felt tired. Am I really unwell? I thought I was ok.


Perhaps those who are close to you, knows you best (is there a saying?).

A friend in Australia suggested that I was somehow telepathically linked to someone very close, and that I was going through the same thing he/she is right this moment. Who is it then? I know my mum is ok. Who could it be?

My head is feeling a bit muddled. Pardon me if I don't make any sense.

Oh dear, I just had another couple of sneezes. This is a bit worrying.

Maybe some fresh air would do me good. I shall attempt to do the mile run tonight, but perhaps at a much slower pace. Ok now I'm coughing. Maybe just a short walk.

And I've got the weekend all planned out!!!!


|