Thursday, November 24, 2005

Somebody stole my...

It’s freezing. It’s freezing because my central heating isn’t on. It’s freezing because my central heating isn’t on, as it is not working. There’s been no gas coming through my flat since this morning.

Why?

Some idiot stole my gas meter.


Somebody stole my gas meter


That’s right. My gas meter, which was situated outside my flat on the sidewall, was ripped off. It must have happened some time yesterday morning. That was when the central heating last worked. I only noticed it was missing last night when I called British Gas and they told me to check the flow-lever near the meter. What’s even stranger, my neighbour’s gas meter, which is situated only a couple of inches next to mine, was left untouched. How come they didn’t take hers instead? Why mine?

I just couldn’t believe that somebody ran away with my gas meter. What could they possibly get from it? Money?

British Gas told me that I need to report it to the police and get a case number before they can even arrange for a replacement. I immediately called the local police only to be put on hold for 15 minutes (the 999-number is for emergencies only and this incident didn’t qualify as that). I tried again half-hour later and got the same result. Fortunately, I was able to make a report online (http://www.police.uk). It will take a couple of days for them to get back to me.

Gas is much cheaper than electricity, and I use it for heating, cooking and also for hot water.

Now I’m limited to cooking using the toaster, rice cooker and microwave. It’s not so bad.

This morning I had to bathe using hot water from the electric kettle. It has been quite some time since I last cleaned myself with a bucket of water. It was kinda fun.

Last night I had to sleep in my sweater, jacket, socks and skull-cap. It was no fun.

Still no word yet from the police.



Brrrrr...



|