Tuesday, December 21, 2004

I Admit Defeat


A Scarf Posted by Hello

I don’t like wearing scarves. I simply can’t accept the fact that an extra piece of long cloth could somehow give you that extra bit of warmth. I remembered when I spent my first winter in the UK some eleven years ago, my mum told me over the phone that I should always wear a scarf. So I did… but not for long. Perhaps the feeling of awkwardness finding not one of your many other male friends classed a scarf as an essential accessory to their daily winter clothing, made me kept it stashed away? Perhaps the fact that I was already donning some four or five layers of clothing made me thought what further contribution could a measly scarf offer?

I wore a scarf to work today. It was my beloved sister’s scarf. She left it behind as she has no use for one back home. She has a few scarves actually. This was the only one I thought that was “manly” enough for my taste. It was 2 degrees Celsius this morning. I already had on three layers of clothing and it was still freezing. I admit defeat. The scarf had won. It had kept me warm during my journey to work and back home. It kept me warm during my visits to the other offices. I don’t care what people say anymore. I’m grateful for the scarf. I will be doing some shopping at ASDA in a minute…. and no doubt I shall be wearing my scarf.

|